Check out dates and sign up to attend.
Orientation LeaderJump to related links
Orientation leaders at Mercy College of Ohio assist incoming students in their transition to the College.
They serve a vital role in conveying information to new students about College programs and services, assisting with all New Student Orientation (NSO) events, and helping to facilitate the adjustment of new students to the campus community. This position is an outstanding opportunity for any student interested in gaining leadership skills.
Orientation Leader Information
Orientation leaders will work with staff members in the Division of Student Affairs, as well as other campus departments, to facilitate the NSO program by:
- Creating an inclusive and welcoming community for all new students and their guests;
- Portraying the policies, departments, services and campus life of Mercy College of Ohio in a professional manner to new students and their guests and serve as a role model for incoming students and peers;
- Assisting in the preparation of NSO activities and materials;
- Leading, facilitating, and participating in campus tours, small group discussions, and other activities;
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures;
- Assisting with the class registration process;
- Communicating and checking-in with students before, during and after NSO;
- Adhere to the Orientation Leader Contract and other College guidelines in regards to policies, personal and professional conduct, and attitude; and
- Other duties as assigned
Specific commitments for this position include:
Orientation Leader Training
This will cover such topics as facilitation, conflict management, communication skills, sexual violence and health, diversity and a variety of leadership areas. The goal is to challenge individuals both personally and academically in order to develop facilitation skills needed for the position. Training for the Orientation Leader position, which is required, typically occurs in May.
New Student Orientation (NSO) Sessions
NSO sessions for incoming Mercy College students are held throughout the year, as new students start in August, January, and May. Orientation Leaders are expected to work all sessions during the year.
Orientation Leaders may be asked to assist with Week of Welcome activities in both August and January.
Orientation Leaders are required to attend the annual Student Leader Retreat, held the week before the first day of the Fall semester.
Students who are offered and accept this opportunity will gain significant leadership experience; develop professional relationships with faculty, staff, and students; and learn effective communication skills. In addition, Orientation Leaders will receive a $1,000 stipend and NSO gear. The stipend will be applied to students’ Mercy College tuition bills at two separate times: $500 in the fall semester and $500 in the spring semester.
All applicants must:
- Be a full-time or part-time Mercy College student and remain enrolled through the Fall 2021 semester.
- Be in good academic and student conduct standing.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at time of application and maintain a 2.5 throughout time of employment (circumstances which may impact GPA will be considered on an individual basis.)
- Be available for all of the dates and times listed in the Time Commitment section.
All applicants should:
- Model a genuine enthusiasm for, and basic knowledge of Mercy College of Ohio including resources, programs, ways to get involved, activities, etc.
- Possess a strong desire and interest to help new students make a positive transition to Mercy College of Ohio.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse group of people including students, families, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Exhibit strong communication skills (written and verbal), facilitation skills, and role modeling behaviors.
- Project a positive image of service which represents the Division of Student Affairs and Mercy College of Ohio.
For more information about NSO or the Orientation Leader position, please contact Deanna Vatan, Assistant Dean of Student Life, at email@example.com or 419-251-2133.